When we asked Garth what his favourite type of roast is, he didn't hesitate to say a chuck roast - closely followed by a point end brisket. We share his family recipe with you here and hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 2kg Roast Beef eg. Chuck or Point End Brisket or your own favourite cut
- Good quality oil for coating the meat
- Salt to flavour
- Sliced onions - enough to create a bed for the meat
- Tinned tomatoes x 2
- Set the oven to 130C.
- Massage salt into the meat and coat with oil.
- Place your sliced onions in a roasting pan and rest your salted chuck roast on top.
- Tip your two tins of tomatoes into the roasting tin to form a nice tomato bath around the meat and onions.
- Cover with foil and put roasting dish in the oven for up to 6hrs - the more the merrier!
Once cooked and this deliciously low and slow temperature, you can crank up the heat and place your roast back in the oven to brown if you wish. Otherwise simply pull the meat apart with forks and serve with fresh vegetables and mash or duck fat roasted potatoes.